S'expatrier a l'ile Maurice

Investor permit

(License validity: 10 years)

A foreign national can apply for a 10-year Occupation Permit

(compared to 3 previously) as an investor provided that he meets one of the following conditions:

An initial transfer of 50,000 US dollars (or equivalent in euros) and an annual turnover of at least 4 million Mauritian rupees (approximately 85,000 euros) from the 3rd year of operations.

An investor who intends to bring in high-tech machinery and equipment as part of the required investment of US $ 50,000, must transfer a minimum of US $ 25,000 and the balance of US $ 25,000 in terms of high-tech machinery and equipment.

An investor who plans to conduct research and development (R&D) projects in highly innovative sectors can apply for an Innovator Occupation Permit. The project must be submitted to the Economic Development Board or be registered with an incubator accredited by the Mauritius Research and Innovation Council.

In addition to this, you will need to know more about it.

Self-employed worker permit

(License validity: 10 years or contract duration)

The self-employed or self-employed worker's permit can only be issued within the framework of the exercise of a liberal profession or consultant. For professional activities not falling within this framework, the investor residence permit meets his needs.

A deposit of 35,000 US dollars (or its equivalent in the currency of your choice), must be deposited in a bank account in Mauritius after validation of your file by the EDB (formerly BOI). After submitting the file, you will be free to use these funds as you see fit (purchase of a vehicle, rental of a villa, etc.).

The commercial activity should generate an income of 800,000 Mauritian rupees (approximately 17,000 euros) from the third year after obtaining the permit.

Note that this is indeed a turnover to be achieved and not a profit. The permit is issued for a period of 10 years and will remain valid as long as the conditions mentioned above are met.

As with all residence permits, this permit is issued to the person who requests it. It opens the right to dependent residence permit applications for spouses, husbands and children.

Professional occupation permit

(License validity: 10 years or contract)

The Occupation Permit Professional is intended for foreigners, employees of companies governed by Mauritian law.

Note that this permit is subject to a constraint. The employer agrees to pay more than 60,000 rupees (~ 1,300 euros).

Certain sectors of activity, such as that of new technologies or call centers, escape this rule. The salary paid to a foreign employee employed in this sector must exceed 30,000 rupees (~ 650 euros).

The professional occupation permit allows you to live and work in Mauritius for a period of 10 years or that fixed by the contract.

The Occupation Permit Professional application must be made by the employer.

Right to investment

The holder of an occupation permit as a professional can invest in any company provided that:

  1. he is not employed in the company

  2. he does not manage the company

  3. he does not receive any salary or employment benefits from the company

Retired license

(License validity: 10 years)

To be eligible for the Retired Permit, foreign nationals must be at least 50 years old.

The national must have an account in a Mauritian bank and transfer an initial amount of 1,500 US dollars or its equivalent in foreign currency. (1250.- €)

Subsequently, the beneficiary of the retired permit will have to justify an annual transfer of US $ 18,000 per year or its equivalent in foreign currency.

In summary, to obtain a Retired Permit, you must transfer a minimum of 18,000 US dollars (approximately 15,000 euros) to your account per license year.

This permit is granted for a renewable period of 10 years.

But at the end of the first three years of presence in Mauritius, you will also be eligible for a Permanent Resident Permit for a period of 20 years.

As with all residence permits, this permit is issued to the person who requests it. It opens the right to applications for dependent residence permits for spouses, husbands and children whose age must not, however, exceed 23 years.

Dependent permit

The dependent's permit is a residence permit issued to the spouse (or partner) of the opposite sex as well as to children, natural or not, under the age of 24.

The dependent permit is obligatorily attached to an existing residence permit, whether this is a self-employed permit, an investor permit or a retired permit.

Note that adult dependents wishing to exercise a professional activity will have to be the subject of a specific permit request. In the case of hiring, the Occupation Permit request will come from the employer. As part of an entrepreneurship, it will be necessary to apply for an investor permit or self-employed worker permit.

Each dependent makes a request to the Economic Development Board (formerly BOI). The duration granted is identical to that of the holder of the Occupation Permit or Retired Permit.

Image de Damian Zaleski

Contactez nous


Tel. +230 5 934 32 44

Referenced by the Mauritius Tourism Authority

© 2020 - LA CASANITA Ltd - Creation and SEO : René Walther - Web Agency Mauritius OceanGrafic